For operating a licensable aquatic facility (AF).
- Do I need to apply for this licence?
You will need to apply for an Aquatic Facility Licence if you intend to operate a licensable aquatic facility (AF). The purpose of licensing is to ensure that the water quality of aquatic facilities is safe for use.
The types of licensable AF include:
A licence is not required for AF in a residential house intended for own use.
(a) Swimming Pool: An artificial pool which operates with a water recirculation
system, intended primarily for swimming, diving, wading, or dipping but does not include a reservoir or a pond.
(b) Water Playground (including interactive water fountain): A recreation area installed with artificial water features that operate with a water recirculation system designed for play and interaction.
(c) Multi-use Spa Pool: An artificial pool which operates with a water recirculation
system and utilises hydrojet circulation or air induction bubbles. This includes hydrotherapy pools, hot tubs, Jacuzzis and onsen pools where water is not drained but recirculated after each use.
- What conditions do I need to fulfil?
If you are taking over an existing premises, please note that we will cancel the existing aquatic facilities licence once the new aquatic licence is approved. The criteria for approval are as follows:
1. Eligibility of Applicant
i. Singaporean or Permanent Resident for an individual
ii. Company registered with ACRA (Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority). Application by a company not registered with ACRA cannot be accepted as it is not recognized as a properly constituted company. The sole proprietor or the active partner should apply for an aquatic facility licence in his name.
iii. Association/ Society registered with Registrar of Societies
iv. Management Corporation Strata Title (MCST)
2. The licence will be issued to the developer until such time the MCST is properly constituted. The MCST must apply for a licence once the developer hands over the management of the AF to the MCST.
3. A clear and scaled layout plan of the premises showing the details of sanitary, drainage and washing facilities etc.
4. For self-employed persons, please ensure that your Medisave contributions are paid up before applying for a licence.
5. Compliance of the list of licensing requirements. Applicants should refer to the list of licensing requirements and use it to plan the setup of the aquatic facility.
- How soon can my application be processed?
We will reply to you within 5 working days of receiving your application. If your application is incomplete, you will be informed of the pending documents/information within 2 weeks.
If your application and supporting documents are in order, an in-principle approval will be given to you before a site inspection is arranged. Following the site inspection, upon approval of the application and payment of licence fee, an e-licence will be issued to you via email.
Hence, the total time taken to complete an application for an Aquatic Facility Licence may vary depending on your compliance of the licensing requirements, completeness and accuracy of required documents, as well as payment of licence fee.
- How much does this licence cost and how long is it valid?
The Aquatic Facility Licence costs S$200 and is valid for one year. The licence is to be renewed annually.
Please note that no refund of fees will be allowed once payment has been made.
- Who can I contact for further details?
For enquiries you may reach us via our Online Feedback Form at https://www.nea.gov.sg/corporate-functions/feedback, myENV app or email us at NEA_AF_Licences@nea.gov.sg.
- Do I have to apply for a licence for a home spa pool/jacuzzi/swimming pool?
A licence is not required for spa pool/jacuzzi/swimming pool in a private residential house.
- If I own an interactive water fountain, what type of aquatic facility do I select when applying for a licence?
Please select ‘Water Playground/Interactive Water Fountain’ as the Type of Aquatic Facility (AF) to be licensed.
- If I own a swimming pool with aerosol generating (AG) features what type of aquatic facility do I select when applying for a licence?
Please select ‘Swimming Pool with AG features’ as the Type of Aquatic Facility (AF) to be licensed.
If I only own a spa pool, what type of aquatic facility do I select when applying for a licence
Please select 'Spa Pool' as the Type of Aquatic Facility to be licensed.
If I have one or more types of aquatic facilities sharing a filtration system, what type of aquatic facility do I select when applying for a licence?
If one or more AFs, with the same pool of water recirculating in the AFs, are sharing a common filtration system, they will be considered as one AF system. Each application should be for one AF system.
Please select 'Swimming Pool with AG features' as the Type of Aquatic Facility to be licensed, if you have the following AF system(s):
• a spa pool sharing a common filtration system with a swimming pool; or
• a water playground with AG features (e.g. water buckets, spray guns, water curtain, nozzle-like spray feature, etc) sharing a common filtration system with a swimming pool
Please select 'Spa Pool' as the Type of Aquatic Facility to be licensed, if you have the following AF system(s):
• a wading pool with AG features (e.g. water buckets, spray guns, water curtain, nozzle-like spray feature, etc) sharing a common filtration system with a spa pool; or
• a spa pool sharing a common filtration system with a water playground
Please select 'Water Playground/Interactive Water Fountain' as the Type of Aquatic Facility to be licensed, if you have the following AF system(s):
• a wading pool without AG play features (e.g. slides, see-saw, etc) sharing a common filtration system with water playground; OR
• a wading pool with AG play features (e.g. spray guns, nozzle-like spray feature, etc) sharing a common filtration system with a wading pool
If you have a water playground with non-AG play features (e.g. slides, see-saw, etc.) sharing a common filtration system with a swimming pool, please select 'Swimming Pool without AG features' as the Type of Aquatic Facility to be licensed.
If you have further enquiries on the Type of Aquatic Facilities to select in your application, you may contact us via our Online Feedback Form at https://www.nea.gov.sg/corporate-functions/feedbackhttps://www.nea.gov.sg/corporate-functions/feedback, myENV app NEA_AF_Licences@nea.gov.sg to clarify.
What is the consequence if I am unable to comply with some of the licensing requirements?
If you are unable to comply with any of our licencing requirements, we will not issue you a licence. You are to make the necessary changes/ upgrades to the AF system so as to meet the licensing requirements. Please note that it is an offence to operate a licensable aquatic facility without a valid licence and the owner will be subjected to a fine not exceeding $5,000 for the first offence and a fine not exceeding $10,000 for the second and subsequent offence.
I have a private residential landed house with an aquatic facility. Do I need to apply for the licence?
You do not need to apply for a licence as the aquatic facility in your house intended for your own use.
My application for the licence is approved and the Licensing & Environmental Assessment Department has informed me of the in-principle approval. Can I commence the operation of my premises?
You can only commence the operation of the premises after we have verified that you have complied with all the licensing requirements and issued you with the licence.
What is the consequence if I provide false information in my application for a licence?
Providing false information in your application is a serious offence. Your licence can be suspended, cancelled or revoked. Enforcement action may also be taken against you.
I have taken over an existing aquatic facility and wish to apply for a licence to operate the premises. I am unable to contact the previous licensee to cancel his licence for the same premises. How do I apply for the licence in this instance?
You can still submit your application together with all the supporting documents to us. However, we will write to the previous licensee to confirm whether he is still operating the business at the said premises. If the previous licensee indicates that he is no longer operating the said premises or did not respond, we will proceed to process your application. The existing Aquatic Facility Licence will be cancelled once the new Aquatic Facility Licence is approved.
If I am informed that my application is pending clarifications or submission of documents, how long do I have to respond/submit to NEA my clarifications/documents for my application?
Please respond/submit to NEA your clarifications/documents as soon as possible in order not to delay the application process. Your application may be deemed as unsuccessful if any outstanding documents and/or clarifications are not submitted within 90 days from the date of your application.
You are required to furnish the following documents to NEA when submitting an application for a new aquatic facility: